Thursday, October 2, 2014

Blood Red Throne - Blood Red Throne (2013)


Country: Norway
Genre: Death Metal

I'm just writing this review whilst listening to the last songs from the album, and what I can say is that, it was literally "saved by the bell". It's a progressive album in terms of how it grows and how songs become more and more aggressive but effective at the same time. The first songs are boring shuffles of erratic riffs recycled from old and modern death metal. Boring, nothing new and nothing outstanding. But then the compositional part becomes tighter and the band incorporates catchy riffs and passages which make this album worth listening. Songs lack "flow" and that's the major flaw of this LP, but that doesn't mean that the good parts cannot be enjoyed by themselves. Another minor flaw of this LP is certain sounds, for example, the snare. It lacks power, definition, makes the final drum sound a bit dull and void. The guitar/bass mix is very effective, allows to hear lots of bass chopping in the stereo part whilst hearing powerful guitar riffs in the stereo. In terms of lyrics, I have no idea what these guys are talking about, but I don't find it very interesting to explore it either, maybe will be a future exercise when listening to this album. A couple of riffs where stolen directly from the Suffocation department, some others sound Slayeresque; some others sound like a modern version of the sound from early Entombed. I have to confess that there's something in this album that made me feel pissed off at the beginning, and I still can't understand what it was. I think it's the lack of compositional fluency from the album. All the great ideas are trapped inside a carcass of boring death metal disguise. I will try to enjoy the good parts and avoid the bad ones as much as I can. And stop listening to this when I get tired of being filtering...

ngx981

No comments:

Post a Comment